Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentine banner DIY



Usually, I hate Valentine's Day. Making people feel guilty if they don't have a significant other, or worse yet, that they don't buy you some silly heart necklace that represents eternal love.

BLEH! Baloney I say!

But, I DO love the hearts and the colors and the sentimentality of it all. Vintage French love poems? Yes please. Calligraphy love notes? Uh-huh. Candy hearts with sweet sayings on them? mmmm.

And I LOVE making valentines. There's something so innocent and beautiful about a handmade note. Doilies and lace and pink construction paper make me happy.

So I decided to send a valentine to my wonderful reps over at Daniel Richards.


Here's what you'll need:

  • spray adhesive
  • red poster paper
  • a love book suitable for tearing out pages
  • jute string
  • regular scissors
  • scalloped scissors
  • a saying printed on any type of paper, each letter cut into squares
Here's what you do:

1. Glue one of your letters onto your poster board and cut with the scalloped scissors tightly around the letter.


2. Continue with every letter.



3. Lay out your letters with about 1.5 inches in between them. Cut your string, allowing for 6 - 7 inches on either side.

4. Tear out your book pages.
5. Glue your scalloped letter onto the lower part of your page. Fold the page where you'd like the string to go.

6. Cut the page around the letter with regular scissors while it's folded to allow about 1/2 in. around the edges.


7. Turn over the page and apply the spray glue.

8. But the string where the fold is and close the flap. (Folding the flap over around the string)
9. Repeat this for every letter. 

5 comments:

  1. I am with you, I never go much for all the "blah blah" but I am a romantic at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh i do love this banner! Happy Day to you as well. I adore the colors and hearts of Valentines day. Thanks for your sweet comments and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is totally cute and sweet :) great work - they'll love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I feel bad for the people not in relationships. You don't need to be in a relationship to be happy.

    ReplyDelete